Monday, April 23, 2012

Philosophy vs. Facts - 'Birth' journal declines our book

Like many other publications, Birth was offered a review copy of our new book, Choosing Cesarean: A Natural Birth Plan, but the Lamaze International journal declined, stating:

"The content of this book does not match the philosophy of our journal."

I thought readers ought to be aware of this because Dr. Murphy and I disagree with the premise that birth plan information and education should be based solely on any particular philosophy or ideology. All birth choices should be better understood and supported.

We do not advocate cesarean births for all women, but we do believe that many women - and indeed medical professionals - are simply not being made aware of the risks associated with planned vaginal birth, and it is disconcerting that a major publication such as Birth should decide that what we've written is irrelevant to their readers - before actually reading it.

2 comments:

Mrs. W. said...

I wish I could say I was surprised - but, alas, I am not.

Anonymous said...

Shame on then I fell disappointed