Thursday, January 7, 2010

Special 'cesarean wing' is opened in Utah hospital

The Standard-Examiner reports that Ogden Regional Medical Center has a new 'first of its kind' wing dedicated solely for women having caesarean-section deliveries.

I think that this is a very exciting development, and I imagine that the women having cesarean deliveries there will enjoy their postpartum surroundings. Obviously, the quality of surgical care in any hospital is of paramount importance, but these efforts to make women feel more comfortable after they've had their surgery should surely be commended.

Comfortable hospital surroundings
In the report, the hospital's marketing director Craig Bielik describes eight c-section/ postpartum suites, single-room maternity care, newborn and transitional nurseries, larger than normal hospital rooms and rooms fully equipped to handle emergencies. In addition, the new C-wing includes flat-screen televisions, Wi-Fi access, a sleeper chair and access to the new Ronald McDonald family room.

I'm sure that I will receive criticism for my interest in this area of hospital provision, but I know that from my own cesarean experiences, I really enjoyed recovering in my own private room. I also enjoyed the fact that I had access to the internet as I was able to send photos of our new children to friends and relatives via email. I could also make outgoing calls on Skype and Google any 'new mother' questions I had in the days following the birth.

No comments: